I need some advice for how much/what kind of money I should take to Italy. Is it best to exchange money in the US at O'Hare airport in Chicago or pay for things in Italy with my debit card? How much cash do you reccommend exchanging?

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Sally - I just got back from Italy! The airports in the US are the most expensive places to change money. The exchange rate that you get there is very low. Best to use a debit or credit card that doesn't charge currency exchange fees. Those fees could also be high if you start charging a lot in euros. There are lots of places in Italy to change $$ into euros. If you're in a big city, check a few and ask what their rates are. Make sure that they're not charging a fee. If you are changing several hundred dollars at a time, you can sometimes negotiate the rate slightly. Have a great time and eat lots of pasta!!!
Hi, Sally, I live in Italy, and I can say the same as Laura. Most part of the restaurants ,hotels and shops will accept your credit card. And for the rest of the expenses you can exchange money week per week, just pay attention to the exchange fee and remember that on saturday and sunday all the banks are closed (you can find in the main city the exchange office but usually they are more expensive). Have a nice trip
Thank you Trudy! Where in Italy do you live?
I leave in Florence, I work as countryside guide, so if you need informations about Tuscany, Chianti, Tuscan Island, you are welcome to ask me... When did you come in Italy? Where you spend your holidays?
Hi Sally, Besides exchange locations (still plentiful and called "cambio") and using your credit cards (worth checking the fees before departure to figure out which of yours is the best option - and even many booths at the markets accept them these days) there is the option of withdrawing money from the ATMs. They are everywhere and you don't have to worry about hours of operation. Again, checking with your bank to see what the fees are in advance is a very good idea. Usually they are high, but the exchange rate is going to be the best available and as long as you are taking a large sum out at once (as the others indicate) so you are in the end charged the fee fewer times, the fee becomes closer to negligible. And according to my accounting department, towards the end of the day is probably a better time of day to make the exchange regardless of your method. Hope all this helps. Buon viaggio!
Alison - selectitaly.com

RSS

Your Travel Pix

• ADD PIX
  • SEE MORE

Groups

© 2024   Created by EnLinea Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service