great migration safari 2014 maasai mara with Big Time Holidays ltd www.bigtimeholidays.co.ke

The predators of the Masai Mara dispatch their prey with extreme prejudice. Here in Kenya's world famous national reserve (maasai mara) there is no mercy for prey animals, if a predator has even a sniff of an opportunity to kill and eat. This is nature at it's most primal, where humans are privileged to observe wild animals as they engage in a struggle to the death that stretches back to the dawn of man. Kenya plays host to African wildlife that is the envy of the world, and it's less than 200 kilometres west of Nairobi. The added bonus is a more competitive safari price than across the border in Tanzania that "we" as Big Time Holidays ltd do offer to our esteem clients across the globe that has made our servicing graph consistently go up the ladder all the year round by receiving positive compliments from our past customers and the present.

The annual wildebeest migration that takes part throughout the Serengeti and Masai Mara ecosystem is one of the most spectacular events on the wildlife calendar and is described as “the greatest show on earth” – but finding the right dates of the migration is a completely different story my self a managing director at www.bigtimeholidays.co.ke and with the experience and know how that i have gathered for a couple of years in the industry, i managed to come up with the following findings

on the migratory pattern & routes and dates for 2014 are only a predictions

Migration predictions dates for 2014

December – End March 2014:

An early move into the Mara could account for an early return to the Serengeti; that is if there is no rain keeping the herds in the Mara. The Serengeti plains and Ngorongoro Conservation area are, during this time, home to giant herds of wildebeest, zebra and other angulates. Calving season on the southern plains is spectacular and an incredible experience with wonderful predator interaction. Most calves are born in a 3week period, with the bulk being born in mid-February.  By March the plains of Seronera to the western Ngorongoro are teaming with vast herds of wildebeest and calves.

April – May 2014

The herds begin to migrate west and north to grassier plains and the woodlands of the Serengeti Western Corridor. The rain can, at times, make it quite tricky to follow the herds during this stage of the migration. This being said, it is an incredible time to be on safari. It is wet, quiet and in essence you may experience the migration and have the Serengeti to yourself. There exists a spectacular interaction following the new arrivals of ungulate new-borns and eager awaiting predators and their cubs. A range of predators take advantage of the weak and vulnerable foals. The wildebeest herds are constantly on the move and calving does not disturb this rhythm in the slightest. Upon delivery and within minutes, calves are able to stand and walk with the herd, and in a few days are even able to outrun predators. The flowers on the plains during this period and the dust-free photography make it the perfect time for any passionate naturalist to visit. May marks the end of long rains in the Eastern Serengeti and Northern Ngorongoro, and as the rain stops, the wildebeest and other ungulates gradually move north. Come May the calves have matured and it’s migration time; scattered herds gather and the march westwards begins. Individual groups begin to congregate and form larger herds and mating season begins. The Western Serengeti is the best place, during this time, to watch the migration unfold.

June-July 2014

If TANAPA’s burning policy is not followed by good rain, it will surely influence the pace of the migration from Lake Magadi to the Masai Mara. In June, it would be important to minimize the possibility of not seeing the migration by focussing accommodation bookings on the Western Serengeti Corridor, as well as, the South Western Masai Mara to guarantee seeing the herds. Come July, the herds reach their first high-risk hurdle, the Grumeti River. This is the first of the breath-taking river crossings you will see. The depth of the river due to the rain makes drowning a high risk and possibility for many wildebeest, not to mention the treacherous crocodiles ready and waiting to take advantage of the herd’s distress. Naturally any camps and accommodation along the river will make for an incredible Big Time Holidays ltd - safari experience .

July – October 2014

Both sides of the Mara River are important during this period. The herds begin to cross central Serengeti into the western corridor, across the Ngurumet River into the western and northern plains of the Serengeti. Come late July, the grasses of the western Serengeti die and the herds move on north. After crossing the Grumeti River in Tanzania, the herds head towards Kenya’s Lamai Wedge and the Mara triangle. However, before they are able to reach the succulent grassy plains of the maasai Mara, they are faced with the next dangerous river crossing, the Mara River. This too is filled with hungry crocodiles...this a breath taking moment and cameras click click...:)

September – November 2014

At this stage the Mara Plains should be scattered with large herds of ungulates, naturally followed by their anticipating predators.

November-December 2014

The short rains are due to start during November in the south during this time, which will see the herds beginning their long trek back to the Serengeti Plains in Tanzania to begin the circle again with the calving season.

Anne Allison.

Big Time Holidays ltd.

+254 722570722

SKYPE ID : bigtimeholidays.co.ke

SKYPE ID : milambo.allan

...................................................................................................................................................................................................
Nairobi - Kenya..Town House 9th flr.--Opp. Nairobi 20th century...Off Kimathi street....Kaunda street....Adjacent to Tratoria restaurant
 Tel: +254 [ 020]-2219940 | Fax:+254 [020]-2219982 | Mobile +254722570722  |+254722437936: info@bigtimeholidays.co.ke | bigtimeholidaysltd@gmail.com | www.bigtimeholidays.co.ke | https://www.facebook.com/BIGTIMEHOLIDAYSLIMITED

"i am only one, but i am still one. i cannot do everything but still i can do something. and because i cannot do everything, i will not refuse to do something that i can do." -helen keller

Views: 370

Attachments:

Your Travel Pix

• ADD PIX
  • SEE MORE

Groups

© 2024   Created by EnLinea Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service